Welcome

My name is Conor Keenan, and for the next year I'll be working in Kilkeel, Northern Ireland, on producing an exhibtion called 'Families at Sea'. This is all in the aid of adding to the already fabulous, Mourne Maritime Visitor Centre at the Nautilus Centre, at Kilkeel Harbour.

Monday 26 July 2010

New boy about harbour

I'm really enjoying working at the harbour, and seeing all the action, hustle and bustle, the energy that is still around the place. I have heard a lot about how Quotas and Days at Sea have hurt the size of the fleet, and how much of an impact the economic climate has had on the industry.

I was also delighted to be introduced to the Harbour's resident seals, Salt and Pepper who seem to have friends staying with the for the summer, I saw at least three heads popping out of the water!

Another surprise hit me on my very first day. I had naively thought of the harbour to smell of, well, fish actually! Not so. Paint, Oil and Diesel are the dominant aromas wafting through the air.

Maybe I need to get up earlier for the fish market to get that smell!

No comments:

Post a Comment